Well, my original Time Capsule lasted a little longer, even though I left it on continually 24 hours a day. It finally expired quietly just after it turned in 24 months of faithful service.
After I got a replacement from Apple and set up the wireless network, the first thing I did was to mod my device. I figured I didn't want to subject the internal elements to overheating again, so I resolved to isolate the internal power unit and place it outside of the TC.
I had read Ray Haverfield's very instructive post, but I don't have sufficient know how to tinker with dead capacitors. If you read that post you will also note the very visible
warning that replacing dead capacitors is a risky undertaking ... and certainly not for the faint-hearted.
So, dutifully following the hair-dryer guide ;-) I took apart my replacement TC, and brought the power unit with me around a popular local electronics supply centre to look for a suitable extension wire. I finally managed to find someone who was able to craft something for me from quite inexpensive parts and got an extension cable consisting of 6 wires soldered to suitable male/female connectors at both ends. Cost me something like US$5 ;-)
The whole setup before closing the TC looked like this
All that was needed was to replace the perforated metal cover over the TC. I thought it would be a better idea not to reinstall the rubber base so that there is some ventilation through the perforations in the metal plate. For the same reason, I also flipped the TC upside down. Doesn't look as neat as before, but it's tucked away out of sight behind my printer, so it doesn't bother anyone ...